Monday, May 11, 2009

time capsule

6.20 am is already too late.
6.00 am would be too late as well.
the list of daily to-do's grows and grows and i find myself sitting at the desk trying to structure the day. 
"if this takes 30 minutes and this eats up an hour and this another hour and if i rush this and add another 2 hours for this, plus the time to get there and back, plus lunch and dinner, and if I  still haven't factored in this, yet this already totals in .....". there is not enough time. period. there will never be enough unless  I shorten my list, which seems impossible, because each to-do-item is very precious and for every one i give up there is a replacement waiting to be added to the queue. my mind goes ballistic.. this morning, during one of my 'how-can-I-organize-today moments' i had this idea. What if I start a little time booklet? yes, doing this means adding another activity to the long list. yet i am very curious about how time is really spent during a day. how long do certain activities really take.  which activities use up junks of time without my realizing it.  for example, reading the news online, emailing, getting ready for the day.  maybe more to-do's were pushed into the stream of today's 'items to accomplishments' without my being aware of it? how much time is left for joy and for presence? how much time is used up thinking, lost in day dreaming, or worrying about certain things. how much time is eaten up by resisting  'must-do's'?  it might be a worthwhile experiment. at least it cuts out the time to estimate time - for now. and it might be an interesting mirror of one's habits. and it might be even fun. One. Two.GO.


No comments:

Post a Comment